Sunday, May 25, 2008

Welcome!

Before I venture further, I feel as though I should warn you, dear reader[s] that this is my first endeavor at entering the "blogosphere." As I do so I am reminded somewhat of Darwin's "Monkey Theorem." Not that Darwin, his father, Erasmus who postulated that if an infinite number of monkeys banged away on an infinite number of typewriters they would, in good time, produce the collected works of William Shakespeare. However, instead of primates and typewriters, we have humans and keyboards. It is my sincerest wish that my thoughts will not be as inane as the vast majority I have encountered.

The true purpose of this experiment is to see if it is possible to link it with my classroom in an attempt at increasing the awareness and comprehension my students have for History...which, if it was not readily apparent, is what I teach. And, since this is not limited to my History students, but rather by anyone in the virtual world who might chance upon it, I hope that those individuals might find something beneficial, relevant, dare I say, meaningful? Yes, I think I dare!

My family and I leave tomorrow [early in the AM] for a two week vacation of several states in our great nation's interior. Although we have a generally idea of where we want to go, we are, at this point, dependent on a "wanderlust" spirit to move us: do we head for Minnesota or South Dakota? Wyoming or Montana?

As we trek, I will post on this space my perceptions and gleanings from traveling several thousand miles with 3 children and 1 wife [who has little love for History]. If they can get excited and enthusiastic about Mt. Rushmore, Custer's Battlefield, and Wall Drug, then I have hope for my students.

Keep your fingers crossed!

No comments: