Monday, January 12, 2009

First Day - Spring term

Well, it finally arrived! It seemed as though it was an eternity in getting here. And, as I almost always am, I find myself more than a bit anxious as to how the first day went. What I mean by that is; I do not want to overwhelm my students with the amount of material that I intend to cover (and, I have sought, aggressively so) to parse it into a few sessions; and yet, I want them to come into the course with their eyes open, no surprises.

I also want them to see the importance and significance of taking a History class: particularly in light of the times which confront us and our nation.

As I begin a new semester, I also find myself facing the dilemma of how "best" to use technology (such as this blog) to further enhance my students' experience(s). I do not want it to serve, solely, as a "diary" for me to post my ramblings (although, knowing me, that will surely happen!) However, in all honesty, if I strive to utilize it as a learning tool, an integrated aspect of my courses, I do not think that it will be. I remain encouraged by the vistas that integration of the technology which my students, this "digital generation" use, so effortlessly, on a daily basis, can and will open (if I do not, with my heavy-hands, muck it up ;-).

2 comments:

notes from the ordinary said...

What class or classes do you teach? The luddite that I am, I have worked hard to bring technology to my classroom. Do you have internet access in your classroom? How many of your students bring lap tops to class? Does your school have blackboard, other type of website that allows you to email students as a group?

HistProf said...

I teach survey sections of American and Western Civ: also, 1 section each of Illinois History and Civil War. All of our classrooms are considered "smart" due to the technology (internet, doc. cameras ((think high-priced overhead)), smart boards, etc). Some students bring laptops, but not many. I also "teach" sections online; students can be anywhere in the world (and have been - even prison). We use a service called eCollege for course websites: I do not know how it compares to Blackboard, but I would presume it is similar.