Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Technology: The 10th Muse


"We may affirm absolutely that nothing great in the world has been accomplished without passion." - G. W. F. HEGEL

As teachers, we are well aware of the legend of the Greek muses. In ancient myth, these 9 goddesses provided inspiration for music, literature, and the arts. Clio, the glorious one in some translations, the muse of History, is often represented with a parchment scroll or a set of tablets. I wonder, a decade into the 21st century, if her image might be updated to include a PDA or a Kindle 2.

I began this experiment in technology because of my passion for History and my passion for transmitting/transferring some portion to my students. As a pragmatist, I am aware that many will still, ultimately, fail to see the import of studying History; however, for those chosen few, they are what drives me. As a reformed (somewhat) Ludditte, I want to learn how to incorporate technology, various types, into my more traditional, brick-and-mortar classes in an effort to more readily and immediately engage my students who are the first generation of digital natives.

A secondary objective, and one I admit was not immediately known to me, is that of building an online community of History teachers, across the nation (around the world) who can share ideas, methods, pedagogical tools that they have employed in thier classrooms in California, Maine, or the UK.

Thus, I would like to thank you all for your passion, brilliance and dedication to teaching. The toughest job you will ever love!

No comments: